Site Search

Demons Run Over Royals

Monday, April 29, 2013 - 1:38 AM

Article By Mark Thornber

Photos By Aaron Raman

Round 7, Perth v East Perth

At Brownes Stadium, Thursday 25 April 2013


Perth                           5.5       9.8       12.10    19.16    130

East Perth                  3.3       5.7       10.10    11.13    79


Perth continued their outstanding start to the season with a commanding win by 51 points after a great final term against arch rivals East Perth at Brownes Stadium on Anzac Day.

After a moving service to commemorate Anzac Day it was the Royals who hit the scoreboard first with a goal in the opening minute. This seemed to lift the Demons though as a hard working midfield led by Ali Smith and Dene White found plenty of the ball early.

Perth Captain Paul Bevan kicked his side’s first major at the 10 minute mark after a few of his team mates missed early shots at goal. The home side was looking good and when key forward Fraser McInnes kicked Perth’s 3rd goal they had opened up a mini break.

The highlight of the term for Perth fans came just before quarter time with Simon Tunbridge coming off the bench to kick a superb long 50 metre goal and then take a wonderful mark to convert another. At quarter time the Demons were in front by 14 points after kicking 5 goal 5 to 3 goals 3.

The second term saw Perth continue their fine form with a rock solid defence led by the courageous Matthew Tedesco and key backman Jared Risol keeping the Royals Josh Smith quiet. East Perth hit back through the lively Matthew Seal, however Perth continued their scoreboard pressure with goals through Matthew Moody and the exciting Brennan Stack.

After booting 4 goals to 3 the Demons took a comfortable lead of 25 points into half time. The second half saw the Demons start well with a hard running goal to White. The Royals slowly came back into the match half way through the term as Perth found it difficult to keep East Perth Captain Brendan Lee quiet. A couple of bustling goals to West Coast Eagle Scott Lycett suddenly saw the Royals gain back the momentum of the match, and by the three quarter time siren Perth were only 12 points ahead.

With a torrid last quarter likely it was the home side that seemed to have all the answers. Alistair Smith’s clearance work out of the centre square was simply outstanding as he continually drove Perth forward. Tunbridge kicked Perth’s 13th goal as the Demons started to run all over their tired looking opponents.

Paul Bevan booted his 4th goal and when Stack kicked his 2nd  it was all one way traffic to the delight of Perth fans. Perth was playing some fantastic team football and finding space all over the ground. Michael Florio was in brilliant touch on his centre wing and Moody was playing a great creative last quarter in the middle setting up many forward moves.

The Demons had kicked 5 quick goals within the first 15 minutes to finally put the match beyond doubt. Moody booted his team’s 19th goal just before the final siren to finish off a dominant term that produced 7 goals to 1 and a stirring 51 point victory.

The result was very pleasing for Perth supporters with many positives to take from the day. Bevan played a wonderful Captain’s match booting 4 goals and was well supported by Tunbridge also with 4 and a game high 11 marks.

Tedesco continues his outstanding form this season and combined well with Risol and Kane Ransted in the backline all day. Ali Smith along with Florio and White, who continues to prove many of his critics wrong rounded out a hard working midfield.

The win in front of a healthy home crowd was a real highlight to watch with the Colts and Reserves also winning well. Hayden Busher with 3 goals and Joel Leeson with 24 possessions both looked impressive in the Reserves, and along with the returning Chance Bateman from injury they should all push for a return to the league side in the coming weeks.

Next week Perth faces their biggest test of the season against ladder leaders Claremont at Claremont Oval.

Goals: Bevan, Tunbridge 4, Stack 3, Moody, White, Florio 2, Ashley Smith, McInnes 1.

Best: Bevan, Alistair Smith, White, Florio, Tedesco, Ashley Smith.


Rental Property Required

Monday, April 22, 2013 - 1:25 AM

The Perth Football Club currently has a player urgently looking for a rental property for him and his family.

If you can assist in any way or for more information, please contact Brendan Kays on 0401 466 830.

An Update From The Coach

Friday, April 19, 2013 - 11:20 AM

By now we would have all had the opportunity to have a look with our own eyes on how the Perth Football Club is shaping up in season 2013. The time for talking is well and truly over and the time for action has arrived.

I hope you have all enjoyed the start to the season as we have witnessed some exciting football over the past four weeks. I am sure there is still a fair amount of our supporters that will have their doubts about whether we can continue on and make something of the season and that's understandable considering the clubs history.

My view as the senior coach is that we try and break that old Perth mould and join our playing group with a positive and encouraging attitude and surround them with a positive environment on and off the field.

We as a football club just might surprise ourselves with an enjoyable experience when we come each week to support our great club. What's important is that we have internal belief and confidence in what we are doing and everything outside of that is out of the playing group’s control. I can only hope that a strong start to the season has given you all some belief that we as a football club are on the right track.

Our job as a football club is to regain back the respect of all those proud and passionate supporters that have followed the club with much disappointment for many years. I can assure you all that everyone here continually challenges themselves to get better. This is the great thing about working at the Perth Football Club and with the people we have currently at the club.

We all firmly believe that we can become a better team as the season progresses by continually challenging each other and working hard to live and play by our club values. I believe our new leadership group headed up by our captain Paul Bevan will ensure that we keep striving for constant improvement in every aspect of our game.

Nobody here is satisfied with or is resting on our achievement so far, we all know we lost a game on the weekend that we shouldn't have and we will use this week’s bye as a opportunity to try and improve and working on maximising our potential.


We would all be presently surprised to see Haydn Busher back on deck making his way back through our Development squad. This is exciting to think he could be back in our league team soon if he can keep progressing.

Chance Bateman is recovering quickly and could be back as soon as the Anzac Day clash with East Perth . Daniel O'Sullivan was a late withdrawal last week but we are very confident that he will be fit to play next week.

Sadly the East Fremantle game took its toll on first gamer Brant Collage, he has a broken jaw and had surgery on Tuesday morning and will miss 4-6 weeks. David Johnston has no luck so far at the PFC after a strong preseason game David was struck down with a infection in his arm and required emergency surgery, he had just started to recover and had a roll of the ankle on the weekend that will set him back a few more weeks. Mitchell Leyendekkers missed last week due to some soreness but will be fully recovered for our next game.

Currently we are in good shape injury wise and its a credit to our medical and conditioning staff at the club, let’s hope we can continue to be strong in this area because we all know injures play a big part in a long season.

One of our exciting challenges is to bring our young players through our system and to integrate them into senior football, while at the same time challenging our older players to reach millstones and continue to improve. As a coaching group it's great to see our Development team playing great football and putting pressure on the senior players in the league team. Every player knows they are on notice and there is a replacement pushing for their spot in the team.

So far we have seen three young men make their league debut Matthew Boyle, Michael Sinclair and Brant Collage. It's great to see at all three of these players have come through our colts program and are quickly developing into senior players.

On a development note you would all be pleased to hear that our reserves team last weekend that performed so well against East Fremantle was made up of 19 of 23 players all coming from our colts program's.


It's important that as a club we don't get ahead of ourselves, we stay focused on our goals and are constantly improving in every area of our football club and continue to develop a strong culture that will form the platform for long team success at the Perth Football Club.

There will be many challenges ahead starting on Anzac Day playing the Royals, but as a club we will judge ourselves on how we deal with difficult times that will determine how the season evolves for us.

Game day is the opportunity for our teams to perform, show improvement and be rewarded for their hard work, we will take the ups and downs and keep striving to be as competitive as we can be and give you all a great reason to come and continue your support. There are no limitations on where this group can take our club this season.

To all that read this letter I encourage you all to get down to Brownes Stadium on Anzac Day and show your support to a young group of players that are working extremely hard to continue to develop and win games of football.

See you at the game,


Red Legs Half Hour

Wednesday, April 17, 2013 - 9:11 AM


91.3 Sports FM


On the Redlegs Half Hour this week we have Jarrad Irons in the studio, we hear from Damien McMahon after the narrow loss against the Sharks and we speak to Kyle Reimers about life as a Demon and what it is like to play on ANZAC Day ahead of our upcoming clash with East Perth on the 25th April.
So make sure you have a listen at 7:30pm this Thursday on 91.3 Sport FM.  Got something to say during the show?  Well now you can.  Send your messages to 0429 913 913.
Also a podcast of the show is available on line.  You can find the podcast by clicking on this link and then the date of the show that you have missed


Monday, April 15, 2013 - 10:41 AM

Article By Mark Thornber

Photos By Gemma Boys

Round 5, Perth v East Fremantle

At Brownes Stadium, 14 April 2013 Sunday  2013


Perth                           5.4       8.4       11.8      16.10    106

East Fremantle          4.3       8.9       9.15      15.18    108

A week is certainly a long time in football just ask any Perth supporter? After a heart stopping 2 point win last week the result went the other way for a brave Perth side as the Shark’s snatched a thriller by 2 points in the dying seconds of the match at Brownes Stadium on Sunday.

In humid conditions and with Perth holding their Annual District Junior Day the Sharks hit the scoreboard first through Fremantle’s Joshua Simpson at the 2 minute mark of the match. Perth soon responded with a goal shortly after when Wingman Michael Florio snapped truly.

The match was very competitive early on with both midfields using the ball well. Perth kicked a clever goal through big man Daniel Murray resting up forward and this was soon followed by another to the exciting Brennan Stack. A couple of late goals to the Sharks though saw Perth hold a 6 point lead at the first change.

The second term slowly saw East Fremantle gain control in the midfield largely through Brad Dalziell and Rory O’Brien. It was West Coast player Brad Dick however that was doing all the damage up forward and kicked 2 quick goals to give the visitors back the lead.

A Kyle Reimers goal seconds from half time saw East Fremantle take a 5 point lead into the main break. The second half saw Murray kick his 3rd goal as he was proving a difficult player to match up on inside Perth’s forward 50 metres for the Sharks. Dene White along with Alistair Smith was in and under picking up plenty of touches for their side.

The highlight of the third quarter was certainly a spectacular mark taken by Stack right in front of the Perth grandstand.  Whenever the Demons hit the front though the Sharks responded with goals of their own as the match was evenly poised. After a more effective quarter on the scoreboard though it was the home side kicking 3 goals to 1 for the term that went into three quarter time holding a narrow 5 point lead.

In what always promised to be a torrid last quarter it was the Demons that started well with Stack kicking his 3rd goal to give Perth a 7 point lead. The Sharks responded straight back as both sides began to tire in the warm conditions.

Suddenly East Fremantle had hit the front by the half way mark of the last term and appeared to have a bit more run than Perth. The creative Matthew Moody came off the bench to kick Perth’s 15th major just entering time on as the match was again on a knives edge. The ball went from end to end for the next few minutes as East Fremantle continued to hold a narrow lead of 2 points. Once again though Moody showed his class and experience to swoop on a loose ball at the 27 minute mark to kick a wonderful goal to the delight of all Perth fans.

With only a couple of minutes surely remaining Perth desperately tried to cling to the lead and slowly use up some valuable time deep in the Shark’s forward line. After a couple of strong pack marks firstly to Murray and then to Eyres the Demons now surely looked home.

However just when Eyres went to play on his kick was smothered by East Fremantle and Josh Simpson took a mark 30 metres out from goal. The goal was converted as the Shark’s recorded a thrilling 2 point win against an unlucky Perth side that showed some great fighting character.

As much as the loss was heart breaking it should certainly hold the club in good stead as they continue to show great improvement from last season, and still remain in the top four. Dene White continued his rich vein of form by picking up 25 tough possessions, and was well supported by the returning Jacobs with 27 touches.

McInnes played his best match for the year with 23 touches including 9 marks and 2 goals. Bevan played a tremendous Captains game and Murray proved his worth up forward with 4 important goals.

Next week Perth has a bye and then plays arch rivals East Perth at Brownes Stadium on Anzac Day.

Goals: Murray 4, Stack 3, McInnes, Bevan, Moody 2, Florio, Boyle, Reimers 1.

Best: White, Jacobs, Murray, Bevan, Stack, McInnes.

The Redlegs Half Hour

Thursday, April 11, 2013 - 12:51 PM

The Redlegs Half Hour

91.3 Sports FM

Want to know what is happening at the club?

Wonder what the coach or the players thought about the game on the weekend?

Haven't heard from a club legend in a while?


If you answer 'YES' to any of these questions then tune into The Redlegs Half Hour every Thursday from 7:30pm on 91.3 Sport FM.

Each week we will have indepth reviews and previews of all our games and special guests throughout the season.

On this weeks show we have CEO Marty Atkins in the studio and an interview with our Senior Coach Damien McMahon.

So make sure you have a listen tonight, 7:30pm on 91.3 Sport FM.



Monday, April 8, 2013 - 9:22 AM

Article by Mark Thornber

Photo by Kerrie-Ann Pendal

Round 4, Perth v Swan Districts

At Steel Blue Oval, Saturday 6 April 2013


Perth                           5.3       10.6      12.8      15.13    105

Swan Districts            3.6       5.7       10.10    14.17    103

Perth continued their winning run as they won a thrilling match by 2 points after withstanding a big fight back from Swan Districts at Steel Blue Oval on Saturday.

In warm conditions Perth kicked to the Bassendean end of the ground in the first term. It was the home side however that started the match better as they jumped out to an early 2 goal lead. Perth slowly worked their way into the match and at the 6 minute mark Chance Bateman converted his side’s first goal after some great forward pressure from Kyle Reimers turned the ball over.

The lively Brennan Stack kicked a clever goal to put the Demons in front. After starting slowly Perth’s midfield led by Alistair Smith and Daniel O’Sullivan worked their way into the match picking up many contested possessions.

After an excellent conversion deep in the forward pocket by Fraser McInness Perth had suddenly turned the match by booting 5 goals after conceding the first 2. At quarter time they lead the black and whites by 9 points.

The second term saw Perth start to really rebound the ball well off half back where both Matthew Tedesco and West Coast Eagle Ashley Smith were providing plenty of run from the backline. Tedesco was rewarded for his hard run when he kicked Perth’s 6th goal and this was soon followed by another to Stack who was well on top up forward.

The Demons were now starting to put some real scoreboard pressure on their opponents and after goals to both Stack and Captain Paul Bevan Perth was able to take a comfortable lead of 29 points into the half time break.

The second half commenced perfectly for the visitors with a great snap from youngster Matthew Boyle soon followed by a great running goal from Stack. The lead was now 41 points and all Perth fans could only contain their delight.

With the home side in all sorts of trouble they appeared to slowly lift their tempo as the pace of Graham Jetta and Dayle Garlett started to cause Perth some real headaches. Swans with a lively home crowd behind them were gaining the ascendancy of the match largely through the hit outs where Wes Lamie was now well on top.

The black and whites where ruthless as they kicked 5 consectitive goals as Perth found it difficult to enter inside their forward 50 metres. At three quarter time the match was now certainly up for grabs as Perth only held a 10 point lead after being outscored 5 goals to 2 for the term.

The first goal was always going to be crucial for either side in the last quarter and it was Swans who kicked it through the dangerous Tim Gaeppen. With only 3 points the difference both teams were desperate as the warm conditions started to take effect on the tired players.

Reimers bobbed up to boot his first goal and reinstate a 9 point lead when Garlett kicked straight into his arms when kicking in for goal. The home side continued to come home with a wet sale though and again closed within a goal now at the half way mark of the quarter.

Resting ruckman Mitchell Leyendekkers, who is improving in every match calmly slotted Perth’s 14th major after taking a strong pack mark. Swan Districts kicked another goal through Travis Casserly. The home side was now steaming out of the centre and constantly pumping the ball forward and when the experienced Wayde Twomey marked uncontested and converted a goal the black and whites had hit the front.

It was now the 25 minute mark and Perth fans couldn’t believe their side had given up a commanding 41 point lead and now looked unlikely to hang on. Boyle had a chance with the aid of a 50 metre penalty to kick truly but missed with Swans now still being 2 points in front.

After a couple of tightly contested contests deep in Perth’s forward line Swans cleared the ball out of bounds on the full near the half forward line in front of the Swans home members. With the time clock now showing 29 minutes with surely only seconds remaining Ruckman Christian Eyres had the ball knocked away by a Swan Districts Trainer. To the delight of the Perth supporters a 50 metre penalty was paid as Eyres lined up from 30 metres out.

The pressure shot at goal slowly floated through as the Demons had the lead back by 2 points. Swans dangerously cleared the ball out of the centre as Perth dropped all their players back in defence desperately trying to hold Swans out.

The siren sounded at the 30 minute mark deep in Swans forward line to end an exciting 2 point victory for a jubilant Perth side. The win was certainly a great character victory and the first win at Steel Blue Oval for 9 seasons.

Tedesco was fantastic all day long across half back picking up 29 touches and well supported by Ashley Smith who used his long kicking to great effect to set up many attacking moves. Vice Captain O’Sullivan continued his excellent start to the season and worked well with a tigerish Alistair Smith.

Stack was clearly the best forward on the day and damaging with his 4 majors and received good support from Bevan and McInness with 2 goals each.

Next week Perth returns home to Brownes Stadium to tackle the Sharks in a Sunday match as they try to stretch their winning run to 4 matches.

Goals: Stack 4, Bevan, McInnes 2, Bateman, Boyle, Reimers, Ashley Smith, Tedesco, Eyres, Leyendekkers 1.

Best: Tedesco, Ashley Smith, O’Sullivan, Bevan, Stack, White.



Tuesday, April 2, 2013 - 11:43 AM

Article By Mark Thornber

Photos By Gemma Boys

Round 3, Perth v South Fremantle

At Brownes Stadium, Saturday March 30 2013


Perth                           1.3        7.7       11.7      16.9      105

South Fremantle        4.4       5.6       9.7       14.8      92

Perth continued their undefeated start to the 2013 with a 13 point victory over the Bulldogs in fine conditions at Brownes Stadium on Saturday.

Kicking with a slight breeze the Demons appeared sluggish in the first term as South Fremantle hit the scoreboard first through Andrew McCarrey at the 5 minute mark. Perth was being well beaten in the ruck contest and unlike their round 1 clash their midfielders had trouble getting into the match.

Perth was being well tested in defence especially by the high leaping Paul Mugambwa, who was proving a real headache at Centre Half Forward.  Sam Butler was playing some excellent football and often saving his side in the backline. The home side managed a goal at the 22 minute mark after Kyle Reimers converted a free kick, however at quarter time it was the Bulldogs in front kicking 4 goals 4 to 1 goal 3.

After Perth Coach Damien McMahon desperately tried to lift his young charges after a slow start the Demons came out with far more purpose in the second quarter. Christian Eyres, while giving away height in the ruck slowly worked his way into the match as a talented midfield of Alistair Smith and Chance Bateman found plenty of the ball.

Sharp shooter Simon Donovan booted Perth’s 2nd and 3rd goal within minutes to get his side back into the contest. Captain Paul Bevan was playing a great match as a small forward and teaming well with Reimers deep inside Perth’s forward 50 metres.

Just before half time Reimers kicked his 3rd goal to finish a dominant term for the Demons which saw them lead by 13 points at half time after kicking 6 goals to 2 for the term.

The start of the second half again saw Perth play some great team football and within minutes of the restart Ruckman Mitchell Leyendekkers snapped truly to give the Demons a handy 19 point advantage. Perth was now looking good all over the ground with a rock solid defence led strongly by Butler and Tedesco across half back.

Bevan was starring up forward for Perth and it wasn’t long before he booted his 4th major as the Demons appeared to have complete control of the match. Half way through the term though the Bulldogs lifted through the tigerish Kris Miller and kicked the next 3 goals as Mugambwa’s height over Kane Ransted was proving a real concern for the home side.

With scores now back on level terms and the match really up for grabs some fantastic tough team football saw Bateman snap a fantastic goal after a wonderful tackle from Reimers set him up inside the forward 50 metres. Donovan then snapped another clever goal to again give Perth some breathing space as they led by 12 points at three quarter time.

The last quarter was always going to be a real tough contest and when Bevan kicked his 5th goal Perth again seemed to have finally shrugged off South Fremantle. As was the nature of the match however the Bulldogs just would not go away and manage to close within 7 points as the match entered the time on period.

Both team’s started to tire in the final term as Perth were continually pumped forward by Alistair Smith and Matthew Moody, who was playing a wonderful term as a creative midfielder. The courageous Bevan was almost out on his feet but returned to the field to kick a fantastic running goal from 50 metres to again give the home side some breathing space.

With the quarter now well into time on South’s responded with a goal straight back as the margin was again only 7 points. The time clock showed 32 minutes had gone as the pacy and exciting Matthew Boyle ran through Centre Half Forward to kick a great running goal and seal the match for the home side.

The game was an entertaining one to watch with 30 goals kicked between both sides. Bevan played a wonderful Captain’s game booting 6 goals and collecting 27 possessions. Butler was great across half back all day amassing a game high 29 touches and was well supported by a reliable Tedesco with 19 touches.

Alistair Smith was effective in the midfield all day and both youngsters Boyle and Michael Sinclair showed they are real stars of the future. Reimers with 4 goals and Donovan 3 rounded out a damaging and effective forward line.

The Demons have now had a fantastic start to the season and set up a real acid test as they tackle the Black and Whites at Steel Blue Oval next Saturday.

Goals: Bevan 6, Reimers 4, Donovan 3, Bateman, Leyendekkers, Boyle 1.

Best: Bevan, Butler, Moody, Smith, Reimers, Boyle.

Happy Easter from the Perth Football Club

Thursday, March 28, 2013 - 10:42 AM

Happy Easter


To all of our Sponsors, Members, Supporters and Volunteers, the Perth Football Club would like to wish you all a safe and Happy Easter.

Entertainment Books for Sale

Thursday, March 28, 2013 - 9:17 AM


Once again this year the Past Players & Officials Association will be selling the very popular Entertainment Books.


The price remains at $65, with $13 from each sale going directly to the Robert Wiley Foundation for junior development.


Books will be available from early May, so please register your interest as soon as possible.


Contact Brian Sweetapple on 0411 133 038 or at for an order form and full particulars.